At Evolve Dentistry, a lot of the patients we see want to improve their smile or would like to have a younger looking smile. We are always happy to advise on how this can be achieved, whether this involves just a little tweak or longer term treatment. Age should never be a reason not to do something, especially if it makes you feel better about yourself. We have a couple of patients in their 70’s undergoing orthodontic treatment as they would like to improve their smile, and I say good for them!
So here are our top 6 tips on how to achieve a younger smile:
- Keep as many teeth as possible, gaps in the smile are very ageing, not many 20 year olds have missing teeth. If you have got gaps that can be seen, consider replacing these with an implant, a bridge or a denture. Make sure you visit a dentist regularly so that a little problem doesn’t become a big one.
- See a dental hygienist regularly. Tea, coffee, wine and smoking stains can age teeth and these can be removed with regular hygiene therapy. It has also been shown that gum disease can increase your risk of heart disease, diabetes and Alzheimer’s, so it’s even more important to make sure that your gums are healthy.
- Get your teeth whitened, tooth whitening gives the teeth a younger, fresher appearance. Always have this done by a dental professional; beauticians and hairdressers are not qualified to offer this treatment.
- Have discoloured fillings replaced, older people tend to have older dentistry in their mouth, over time this will discolour and can cause the smile to appear older. Old fillings can be replaced with new white fillings, inlays or veneers.
- As people get older, the edges of the front teeth can appear worn and chipped, younger teeth have got slightly rounder corners, you can have your teeth gently reshaped to recreate this shaping.
- Consider a complete smile makeover and get the smile you have always wanted. I believe that most people in the UK want a nice natural smile and not the very white uniform smile favoured in the States. This could be done using braces to move your teeth, and these days the braces can be invisible or you could have veneers placed on the teeth if your teeth are very discoloured or heavily filled. With the technology and products now available, we can achieve a long lasting, predictable, natural smile just for you.
Your smile is the first thing that someone notices about you, why not feel great when you smile?
If you are thinking of improving your smile, book a FREE consultation with Julie, our Treatment Co-ordinator, by calling us today on 01275 842550